I have a very vivid memory of an experience I had as an older child while riding in our van with my family. I can only assume now that we were driving to Utah or to a softball tournament, the specifics of which I don't remember. My parents were playing their Simon and Garfunkel cassette tape and the song I am a Rock started playing. This song resonated somewhere within me. Pieces of it were so identifiable as being a place I knew I could get to if I let myself get the best of me.
My dad then asked from the drivers seat what I thought the songs meaning was; he must have sensed that I was drawn to the lyrics.
I remember answering and then my parents looking at one another in a way I can only understand now that I am a parent.
"I've built walls
A fortress deep and mighty...
I am shielded in my armor...
I am a rock.
I am an island."
I stick by that.
The armor and walls I've built have gotten me through some pretty tough things.
As humans, we need them.
Defense Mechanisms can be really awesome sometimes; they just take over and help us survive stuff we weren't sure we could.
Defense Mechanisms can also suck us in.
If I were my own client right now, there are a few things I may want to gently guide myself into doing. The first being, honesty. If one is not honest with others who love them, how can they be honest with themselves? It isn't possible.
If one is not honest with himself, is it possible to heal?
Never.
Therein lies my dilemma.
Is this how I share something like this? Is it attention seeking? I don't know. I hope not.
I just know that the disguises I've held for the past few months in the name of privacy aren't helping as much as they are hurting. Yesterday, I was having a dark day...and found myself attempting to find solace through a lame ass Internet message board, rather than with the people who I can actually see. It was kind-of a rock bottom, in a strange Internet chat room kind of way.
Although I understand rationally that hopefully there are family and friends who want to offer support, I have chosen to let irrationality win, and isolate myself and my feelings.
So dumb.
Isolation is rather lonely.
It doesn't really suit me, or anything I believed in when starting this journey.
So...here goes nothing.
I've been having some health issues.
I like to pretend they are nothing...and actually most of the time they are nothing. But, sometimes they are something.
I am not naive enough or insensitive enough to think for one minute that there aren't many of you feeling terribly worse than I, and because of that, I will be brief.
I may have Multiple Sclerosis.
Feels a bit too real to actually type that.
I am hoping I don't have it...although at this point, the cards aren't stacked in my favor.
I've had a couple of years of some weird things happening that I would see a random doctor for, and then feel better. No big deal. In fact, this MS diagnosis first was mentioned by a doctor a couple of years ago, but I really thought nothing of it until recently.
This past February, one Thursday morning, Blair was running late to work...probably the only time he has been that late in years. That same morning, right before he left, I had, what appears to have been, a seizure-like episode.
Blair was home and able to help me, and it was not by chance.
After that... tests, tests and more tests were run, and a few nasty diagnosis were tossed around and eventually thrown out (thank goodness). Most of these tests have been negative, which has been a good thing. The brain MRI, unfortunately, was not. I have a few "lesions." One good-sized and just a couple real tiny ones. My neurologist assumes that is what is causing a few of my symptoms (which aren't terrible...just weird).
As of this point, I am scheduled for another test in July, and then a follow up MRI in a year if I do not have any new "episodes." My doctor is appearing very certain about what he sees, but is also being cautious because a diagnosis like MS requires a life long dose of meds (between Deak and I we may just actually have to licence our home as a pharmacy). Whatever I am dealing with also appears to also be in the beginning stages, which is good, and where it will hopefully stay for a long, long time.
Phew.
I don't know if this makes me feel any better.
But...at least it's real.
And also really, really, really...I am fine.
Totally fine.
I will get through this again...and I am hopeful that if I am due to deal with this disease...I will be fine, and healthy, and happy.
I get to be.
I also don't have to search for random hypochondriacs on Internet sites anymore.
12 comments:
I saw your dad at the gym the other day, while running as fast as I could, I tried to tell him inbetween breaths just how much I adore you. You are braver than you believe you are. And you inspire others all around you.
I so wish I could make this one go away for you. I do. But, Im sure I can't. So in the meantime, I will do my best to support and love you. I've heard that people with your condition should see lots of terrible movies with young Hollywood heartthrobs and eat a lot of red mango.
Joking aside. Im sorry! Not feeling well stinks. Just know that I love ya and Im so happy we are friends. Hang in there girlie.
I know for sure that I tell you this way too much, but really can anyone hear this and think, "If I hear that one more time...." You really are such an inspiration to me. Sometimes I just can't believe how you can handle certain things with such grace and a strong-willed attitude (even if it is with a asshole of a teenage kid at a theme park (: )
You are amazing Jenny! You and your family will be in our prayers.
Jenny I just love you and I am SO sorry that you are going through yet another trial. You are amazing though and I know you will come out on top. You are seriously such a wonderful example to me of how to handle trials with humility and grace and always being able to find the positive, no matter how crappy a situation you are being dealt. I am SO thankful that I have gotten to know you and I look up to you (MS and all... jk!) Please let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do to help make your world a little brighter or easier. You are in my prayers!
Please don't choose isolation. I've lost one friend to isolation and it's not good for anyone involved. I do believe that for as tempting as isolation is, the rewards or fruits of the relationships that grow because you are 'real' and honest far out-weigh and comfort found in isolation. I think not knowing is the WORST becasue that's when your brain and heart go crazy imagining what if...for me that's when I have to go back to faith and to that 'rock' of faith that says the Lord will watch over me, loves me and it will be OK, I will be able to handle it. The Lord loves you, knows you and it will be OK, you are made of tough stuff that can handle whatever comes your way.
xoxo mel
Wow. I guess I don't know exactly what to say, so forgive me if I don't say the right thing. No matter what happens, I wish you strength in dealing with your life. You are a very strong woman who handles life's challenges with much grace.
I am reading a blog of a woman who was diagnosed with MS recently. She is in the very early stages. She has made a number of diet changes that have helped her tremendously. Her blog is private, but I'm sure she'd be happy to share it with you. Her email is wortmann.marcelle @ gmail dot com.
I found your blog from a friend of a friend of a friend . . . kind of stalkerish. You don't know me, but I've enjoyed reading about your life and how you handle your kids and job and life. If it helps any, another young woman probably close to your age (she went to DHS) was recently diagnosed with "probable MS" as she puts it. Her blog is www.memyselfandms.blogspot.com. Maybe that will help you on your journey. Good luck to you. You are an incredible person.
Oops, sorry, it is www.mrsburkehasms.blogspot.com
I'm glad you "shared" - NO ONE should have to go through what you are going through alone! I will continue to pray for you and you know I am always here to help, and just listen - luv ya...
Jenny we love you and are here for you. I'm so glad you shared, because that is the best for you and everyone else.
hey Jenny, what a post that was. So honest and real and calming and alarming all at the same time. well done for all of the above, I'm sorry things are stressful and uncertain but hope that you will continue to try to reach out and grab the love and support when you need them. You are a rock. And a rock feels no pain...xxx
Oh Jenny I'm so glad you shared. I tend to hole up too when I'm going through something hard, and it's always better with friends and people who love you. I just ache for you. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Just know I'm always thinking of you and wish nothing but good things for you. You are a ROCK! Love ya girl.
Jen, I do not know how I missed this post and it is making me sick. I am so sorry. I understand the comfortable hell of isolation, if you will, and it sucks. I am so glad you didn't stay there any longer and don't you dare go back. Ash is right, you are so much stronger than you realize. And so are the family members and friends that love and support you. Don't forget that when isolation starts to creep back in to your life. We will help you in those times of weakness. Too many people love you, please let them. I hope you know I will do anything for you...love you.
Post a Comment