Monday, June 14, 2010

Pause.



Amidst the lunch-making, Gabba viewing and gloomy mood today, I looked towards my Deakon and just stood still.

I watched Deak stuff handfuls of chopped up mini-corn dogs and apples into his mouth, all the while trying to crank his neck so that he wouldn't miss a second of his treasured show.
He has come so far.
He just looked so big in his fancy booster chair; eating at the island bar like his big sister.
Just a few minutes earlier, I had yelled for him to come and eat.
Most recently he has become able to respond to my requests.
I've always believed he understood what others have asked of him, but his fine and gross motor issues have prevented him from being able to show us.
Not anymore.
He will donkey crawl, mock 90, around the hallway corners and into the kitchen for any type of request that involves eating.  He then waits (not very patiently:) at the slate floor/carpet border, high on his knees (closest he gets to independent standing at the moment), and signs "more." Over and over.
"More" can mean a lot.
More Gabba, more drink, more food, more flips from Daddy, more swinging, etc...It has proven to be the most useful tool in Deak's ever-expanding realm of communication.
I should mention that he often neglects to "hear" requests that involve less fun things...like changing diapers.

Today I am thankful.
Thankful for the places we've been and the places we're going.
Thankful for a boy that provides my soul with the much needed opportunity to pause.

7 comments:

Alisha said...

That just makes my heart swell to hear all that! Seriously, I have tears welling up in my eyes! He is so amazing, and you both are an inspiration to Emarie and I.

Thanks for sharing, it always seems to happen when I need it the most!

Mandi Fisher said...

Very well said...thanks for the reminder that we all need to stop and be thankful for what is going on around us!

Candice said...

That is great. Communication is a beautiful thing!

Jacqueline said...

Yay! I have some signing time DVDs that I will give your mom or Nikki for Deak. Gav LOVES baby signing time and is completely obsessed. Yay for Deak!

Kathy and Maddi said...

I had a blah day too. But reading your blog always makes me happy. I love seeing my grandkids, so glad Deak is feeling better.

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

He does look like such a big boy in that chair - cutie!! Love the new blog look too - cute!

Kathy and Maddi said...

Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don’t come until heaven; but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come."
-Jeffrey R. Holland


I need to hear that right now.
I have cried so much in the past few days
I can't remember what I am doing.


Talk found here.

Posted by NieNie

Jenny go to this sight through Kelli's blog if you want to read her blog and this talk.