Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Proud to be an American Today

I know this is a little bit of old news, but I still had to mention something about it, with a disclaimer: I am in no way going to pretend to be a political "know-all," I am far from that. That being said, I'll continue.
We all know the drama associated with the newly resigned Governor of New York, and his professed "moral" campaign and office term (a moral man who spent upwards of $80,000 in prostitution). In the midst of what seemingly appeared to be a tragic indication of our society - something really, really cool has happened.
David Paterson who was Lt. Governor of New York, became Governor of New York. You might be wondering why I care; I don't live anywhere near New York. In fact, I have never been there (would love to go there though). Gov. Paterson is legally blind. He became blind as an infant, and has grown to become this incredibly intelligent and "able" man. Gov. Paterson openly talks about his struggles growing up, how others' made fun of him, and what he has overcome to be who he is today. (If you are interested in learning more about him, click here for a good story.)
How freaking cool is it that someone who society typically views as "disabled" is now running one of the most influential states in our country!?! *Answer: Very, Very, Freaking Cool.
I watched a clip Governor Paterson being sworn in on the news a couple of nights ago and it brought tears to my eyes. What an inspiration this man has become to me, and will become to my very "able" little boy.
Today is a good day to live in America.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I love that! Thanks so much for sharing that Jenny!