Deak has had quite the range in noises since he has been born. When he was born he would make these sounds that (I kid you not) sounded an awful lot like a fish blowing bubbles. He didn't babble or do the regular baby jabber. In fact, Deakon pretty much didn't have anything to say until he got tubes in his ears at 15 months. We figured out then that he really hadn't been hearing a whole lot.
Once he began hearing, he began making sounds - but still not very typical. More like "Uhhh" (Sounding at times like wild animals). He has learned how to communicate quite well using no words, and we have figured out what his sounds mean for the most part.
Well...a couple months ago he recieved a toy which made a monkey sound. This was apparently very inspiring for him because he has done nothing but make monkey noises since recieving this gift. He has created many many words using monkey noises. This was a good sign for us though because we knew he was hearing and mimicking his world around him.
On to tonight...Deak has had a busy day and was extremely tired. We were at Blair's parents' home and I began to rock Deakon to sleep. As I rocked him, I looked at him and said "Night, Night" several times. Then all of the sudden, he turned and looked at me and said "Ny, Ny." No one was around and I thought no one would believe me. I turned and walked upstairs and told everyone thinking he probably wouldn't say it for them. Ten minutes passed and I lifted him up to go and said "Night, Night Deak." He looked at me again, and with the cutest face I have ever seen, said "Ny, Ny." (In front of everyone, including his Grandma who is a Speech Pathologist and exclaimed, "Yes, it had clear consenants and vowels.")
It is nothing short of amazing -truely.
Most children who are born with Chromosome 18 abnormalities suffer some sort of major speech impairment. Most communicate, but most do it in different ways then we might be used to. Language and Auditory processing are extremely difficult for many children. Deakon also has a cleft in his palate which makes producing sounds even more difficult. To be quite honest, I never expected to even begin worrying about speech with Deak until he was at least three years old. Here he is, not even two - and has said his first word. I am so lucky to witness this miracle which has been given to me every day...His future is so bright; I can't wait.
"Ny, Ny" to you all. My dreams are looking good tonight.

8 comments:
Wow! Thanks for making me cry - twice!! Love that story below too about the governor of NY. You are an amazing mom. Congrats on such a big day. I'm sure more is to come.
cute post. it made my eyes water. and what better words to say than ny ny? so cute! he is so cute!
Congratulations Deakon! That is just like him to be breaking the odds! Jenny, you are such an amazing mother and friend!
I totally have the chills and can finally see to type. Jen, that really is amazing and I am so happy for you. What a huge accomplishment and I have no doubt a reflection of your mother skills. Can't wait for him to keep beating the odds!
yay deak!!!!!!!! i'm so excited for him! i want to come over just to hear him say it.. haha that truly is amazing though. our families little miracle baby!! we love you deak!
Wow! That truly touches my heart! Thank you for sharing your miracles with us all! Ny-Ny Deakon! Thank you for your example and friendship. You are a great woman. Amber
Jenny-
Deak's amazing!! Truly is! But I wish you'd finally acknowledge that what you really heard was him saying "nat nat"!!! LOL!
XOXO
Ohh. What a miracle! He is so amazing.
Post a Comment