Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It's a new year, and I am thirty-one.

I am older again. It seems to keep happening every year. It sucks. I am getting to the point where I look in the mirror fully expecting to see a young, 20 pound thinner, wrinkle-free person. I really do.
But, I don't.
I remember not understanding "older" people when they would say, "Oh...but, I still feel twenty-one!" Now, I get it. Inside, I am me. Outside, she is leaving.
The birthdays now have become more contemplative. The surrounding days are mostly sleepless and full of dissections of choices I've made and future goals. I'm pretty confident that I don't have many regrets. Mistakes...oh yes...but, regrets...no. I'm hopeful that I'll mature in my decision making and learn that my heart doesn't steer in the wrong direction.
I wonder how badly I've screwed up my children and dream of perfect relationships as they grow, marry and have grand babies. For some reason, I am really stuck on the grand baby kick right now and have told Abby countless times in the past few weeks that she is not allowed to move away when she grows up. Could you imagine? Ah...my heart already hurts.
I'm at a point in my life where I need to better figure out how to demonstrate what I believe. Game-playing and masks are not a part of me anymore. I've been there...and done that. We all have. I just want to be me. And, I want "me" to become more simple and true. I want to do less things that serve minimal purpose, and more things that are meaningful for my family, friends and faith. Ah, but Faith...that is a place I could become more true. It's a constant balance of my internal anti-authority dialogue and religious activity. I know there is a higher purpose.
Somewhere, amidst all this rambling chaosness that is my crazy head...I decided that one of my life "bucket list" goals is running a half marathon. Easy for some, really not easy for me. I suck at it, and over the past couple of years have had some issues with Vertigo that have made it even more difficult. I am absolutely DETERMINED that this is the year. I have my little training schedule printed and posted, I bought new shoes and an outfit (because really, that is super important), and I've told everyone I know so that I have some people calling me out if I bail. I'm gearing to run the Provo River Half this summer...considering I'm only up to two miles, it's a good thing I have six or so months. I've rented the first season of Glee to get me through the first couple of weeks on the treadmill...and that show is funny.
Anyway these random ramblings are allowing me to become hopeful that I will continue to progress, simplify and become more kind. And, hopeful I will be able to make it last more than a week....
We shall see.

10 comments:

Alisha said...

Take comfort in knowing you still look 21 to me! Not kidding! I love Glee too. Happy Birthday hun, you deserve it!

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

Welcome to the "I'm 31 but feel 21 club" - I think I might always feel 21 too!!! I haven't watched Glee, but I will be renting it too - it looks hilarious! Good luck with that running stuff...

Adam & Christy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I actually look forty and feel seventeen. SO you are in better shape than I mentally. Good luck with that "bucket list."

Melanie Bingham said...

The socks will help.

Camille Hammond said...

You can do the half! And the outfit is important. I got a new one to run the marathon in! Just don't think about the end miliage, take it one mile at a time. If you're doing 2, then great, your next goal is to do 3. I've been in a runner, but running a whole marathon seemed impossible. But it helped just doing it and increasing milage a little at a time. I was amazed by the time the race came that I actually felt ready to do it! And watching Glee will help!

Kathy and Maddi said...

Jenny, first of all you look great! Second I would love to run the half marathon with you. I will start to train right now. (If your going with friends, I'm sure Dad will do it with me). Third I don't know about that glee show, maybe I watch it once more, I've heard its suppose to be good. Watch "In the Middle", or "Modern Family", they're funny.

Jenny H said...

Modern family is my new favorite. I have tivod it since it started.
Hillarious!
And, of course you can do the half. I ran two and a half miles last night:)
Camille, I will be calling you for support!!!:) I am still amazed you did a full.

Jess said...

HERE HERE. Cheers to getting older and wiser too. Happy Birthday!

Jane said...

I'm with ya not wanting to get older. You look amazing so that's all that matters.
Good luck with the half!

Brianne said...

Getting older just plain sucks. At least we are all doing it together :)