Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Recliner.

I sat in a recliner in Deak's blue and red room, in the middle of the night, for a year.
It kept my back comfortable and held my arm in a way that prevented it from falling asleep.
I awoke two or three times a night and held my fragile boy's body in my arms. I gave him medicine through a nebulizer with the prayer that the mask I held carefully in front of his nose would allow him to wake up in the morning.

That chair, my husband, and I... kept him alive.
What a year that was.
I don't remember many milestones or events. Although I know much of it was characterized by hospital food and specialists I didn't want to have to meet. Exhaustion overtook most of my ability to recall specifics, but I do remember feelings. I'll never forget most of them.
Tired.
Panic.
Joy.
Hope.
Guilt...
...because I know that year will also be marked for my sweet girl. She grew ten years wiser during that time and furthered an independence due to necessity, and a mom that was coping while in survival mode. My heart aches at the thought that I may have forgotten at times to show her how important she is and how deeply my heart feels for her. Oh, how I pray that she will someday understand and forgive.
This chair may be leaving my home today. Blair and I have been selling items we've deemed "unnecessary" as a way to supplement our income a bit, and there is a buyer.
I've cried many tears at the thought of losing this chair. The new mother who is buying it won't know...she won't understand the significance it has held in my life.
But, I need to move on.
I hope today becomes a today that I will look back and recall in future years.
I hope it is the beginning of an ability to lose some of this fear I've felt and still hold on to too closely.
A closure of one world, and an opening to a world I wasn't sure would ever exist.
I no longer need that chair to help Deak breathe.
He can do that for himself.
In fact, he could walk to that chair if he really wanted to.
I think it's time to let go.

4 comments:

Bill said...

I would like to purchase this chair (I Am Serious),and leave it right where it is. Payment from you would be the sacrifices that your family has made to allow this incredibly gifted boy to lift our spirits and strengthen our faith in someone much greater than us. Abby will love and respect you even more as she grows and understands, how fortunite her and her brother are to have you for a mother. Love Dad

Melanie Bingham said...

Bill your a cutie, I can't even get my dad to read my blog.
Brian and I have commented that if we ever 'come into some money' we are donating high end rockers to primary childrens. NICU and PICU had some nice ones but the ones in the rapid tx unit and the floor and something to be desired. A good rocker is priceless. It's good to move on and let it go.

Kysha said...

What a sweet post. Funny the things you cling to and remember the most during those panicked sleepless times. I agree with your Dad, Abby will only grow in admiration for you and for what your family has done and sacrificed for Deakon.

Jess said...

Jen, you never cease to amaze me. You, your thoughts, and your family inspire me. xoxo