
I usually hate the zoo.
The smell.
The food.
The fact that I can't drink my diet coke with a straw.
But, after a week of worries with Deak, and a special invitation...we were actually excited to go.
And, it totally rocked.
Because of Deak's involvement with Shriners, we were able to attend a "Dream Night" at the Zoo. It is created for families who have children with chronic illnesses or disabilities, and includes dinner, face painting, animal touching, special shows, and character greetings...all for free. I wish I could've captured the bright eyes and wide-mouthed smiles of all the kids there, but you will just have to settle for mine...

This night was really the first time I had seen Deak happy for five days. His fever had just broken the night before, and he still had some after-affects of the rash on his cute round belly. Blair and I were so excited to see how happy he was. This is the first time Deak has been to the zoo with glasses, and it was so clear he was seeing things differently. He would laugh and make monkey noises "Ew Ah Ma...Ew Ah Ma" with each animal he saw...monkey or not. I think he pretty much wanted to touch all their eyeballs as well, because he is really into eye jabbing at the moment.

We had one extra ticket, and were so excited to take my niece Taylor with us. She and Ab had a blast running around together. Taylor was so excited all night, she kept tugging at my shirt and saying, "Jenny, did you see that?" She was also SUPER excited about the bird show, so excited that we got there early enough for good seats and several birds flew right on top of her head.
Deak had his first face painting experience.

And, his first experience touching a boa constrictor.

Ab and
Tay were just cute.

Taylor wanted nothing to do with the giant polar bear,
Deak wanted to eat him, and Abby just put on her fake smile.
Deak only ate chocolate for dinner. We didn't care.
Look how perfect Taylor poses in every picture...all the while, my daughter is attempting to be eaten.

I like Giraffes, but they were a long walk in heels. (I know, stupid to wear heels, but I hadn't left the home much in a week, and apparently wanted to look nice. Not smart.)

This guy was real mean. He kept pacing and glaring at us.

Look how big?? He wanted to stand the entire bird show. It is quite the arm workout.
Overall, and a hundred pictures later...it was such a great way to end a really crappy week. It makes the time together so much sweeter though...
9 comments:
That looked fun, wish we could of went. I remember that day so well of the post below infact its a day and week I'll always remember. So glad he survived another battle(you guys too.) By the way I love the way you have set up to post comments!
That picture of Abby and Deak is priceless! Enlarge that one and then frame it and put another hole in your wall!
oh yeah, thanks for taking Tay she can't stop talking about it!
so cute! one day when i have babies in like 7 years i hope to do fun things like this... you are a good mom.
Looks like a perfect evening!!
And that picture of the 2 kids is PRICELESS...LOVE IT!!!
Those pics are great!!!! What a fun thing that hospital does. I love the pictures of the face painting!
How fun!! I'm a little jealous! I too, feel the same way you do about the zoo. I had to find something to do on the day Parker had the kindergarten field trip, so I didn't have to go...is that bad? :D But, your night looked so much fun and the pictures are adorable!!
What a fun night. I am glad Deak is feeling better. His smile brightens my day!
Yay, you deserve a fun night after your long and stressful week. Way to let him eat chocolate and not care--I love it.
Post a Comment