Saturday, December 6, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas...

Christmas is here.

It tried to come early in the stores, but at my house it is not welcome until the day after Thanksgiving. I know, a little "Scroogey" but I don't want the uniqueness of the Holiday to be smeared before it's due time.
We kicked off the season this week with an awesome tradition; the Festival of Trees.
I have a little bit of a personal soapbox about where "Every Penny" of the donated money to Primary Children's Hospital is spent, considering they do charge quite the pretty penny for their services. But, I do admit that I haven't found any doctors better - and we have seen pretty much all of them there.
I was in tears by Aisle Two. The families/friends/decorators put everything they have into a Christmas tree which means so much more to them than ornaments and glitter. They represent in some cases, Angels, and in some cases, Hope. I felt so much gratitude as I viewed the portraits and read the stories; how easily it could've been me.
(The Kiddos at Dinner.)


We brought Megan with us to celebrate. We have been feeling a little sad lately because she isn't going to be as close to us as she is now, in a week or so. She is a sweet friend to Abby, and has been such a pleasure to get to know. It was cute to watch them hand in hand, talk about the trees and what they loved. Abby and Megan were old enough this year to notice the pictures sitting next to the trees, and began asking for the babies' names. Abby would look at me every so often, with her little knowing crooked eye, and I know she was thinking,"Mom, this one's like Deak huh." She understands how lucky we are to have her brother with us, and wanted to know each pictures' name. The girls were so respectful.
(By the Tree of Trucks)


(By the American Girl Doll Tree - their dream come true.)



(Deakon LOVES Santa this year, and tried to pull the beard off him. Good thing it was real.)

About a week ago, I began teaching Deak to say, "Ho Ho Ho." At first it sounded like "ah, ah, ah" but now he uses a husky voice and says, "Eh Eh Eh." Last night while looking at a tree adorned with Santas', Deak looked at me and said "Eh Eh Eh" and then clapped for himself. It was so neat to see him connect what I had taught him in such a short time.

Event #2

This morning, we went with my sisters and mom to a "Breakfast with Santa."

(Kelli and my mom. My dad is currently hunting Coyotes -seriously.)

(Tay and Abs)

(Abs and Maddi: her idol)

(Abby very intently telling Santa something. I think she has come up with a plan to tell each Santa something different, so she gets lots of presents - it's just a gut feeling.)
*Note - actually, I asked her and she asked both of them for an American Girl Doll...Good Girl.)

The Spirit of Christmas does not get exemplified better than with adorable smiles, and feelings of gratitude.

What a Good Start to the season!!

11 comments:

Melanie Bingham said...

Cute pics!

Kelly said...

Now that just makes me smile!! How fun!

Natalie Winquist said...

Haven't checked anyone's blogs forever- & look- I miss out on cute posts! Love the pic of the kids on Santa's lap!! Glad you guys had fun at Festival of Trees!

Jane said...

I love Christmas!!! Deak keeps looking bigger in all these pics. Is that true? It all looks fun!

Jenny H said...

Yes Jane!!! We saw his Endocrinologist last week and he has grown five centimeters and gained 2 1/2 pounds in the past 3-4 months. More than double what he has done in the past year. They said he is going to spurt up within the next 5 months or so and be the same as his peers. It is so exciting!

Tami Harris said...

So fun!! Again, thank you so much for having Meg come with you. She had a fantastic time. BTW- I love the pic with the two girls just cheezing it! She's going to miss Abby too, she been a wonderful friend and you all have been so good to her. Thanks so much!!

o said...

That looks like so much fun. Daxton really is telling each Santa different things. This whole time I have been thinking he has not decided what he wants. Now I get it! I can't believe the news with Deak. That is so amazing that he has grown that much!

Nikki said...

Next year I want to go to the Festival of Trees with you guys, I've only been once and I would like to go. Cute pics!

Tyler and Stacy: said...

Um, is your mom aging in reverse?

k8shoe said...

Cute pictures! Yes your mom looks great....like she could be your sis.

Kelli K said...

i have a triple chin in that picture. fun times. not a good picture. thank you for reminding me to go to the gym today.