Thursday, November 25, 2010

From the Heart...

(Reading your article aloud to your brother...I later overheard you telling your brother, "Deak. It is a big, big book for grown-ups that we are in. The newspaper.  It's really big and really cool.")

Dear Abby,
We had a conversation with your Dad last week about our "hearts."  I let you know that it is okay to let go and show other people what your heart was feeling.  You listened and said, "But Mom, I barely even show you that."
I smiled, because at your young age of 8, you are and have always been, perceptive enough to understand the barriers of your strong will and tough exterior.
Later that evening, while discussing the reasons why you were creating a tree for your brother, you sat quietly and appeared to be very thoughtfully pondering the conversation (with your one eye closed, like you always do).  You replied to my questioning with a simple answer, "I want everyone to know who Deakon is."
I smiled through my tears and said, "Ab...that one was from your heart, wasn't it."
You lit up, looked in my eyes and shook your head "Yes."

I am always proud of you, but today...my heart is full to the brim.
I am especially proud today.
Your story has not only touched my heart, but it has reached many.
You told me earlier this week, that one of your hopes in creating this tree was that "Deakon would like it when he got older."  It is okay with you that he may not understand the entire project and what you have done.  You get it.
But Abby, I promise, he loves it now.  He loves you.

Your choice to do something so selfless, even though you do not understand it to be that yet, has forever changed me.  We have had a year of craziness in our little family.  Craziness.  But, that is not what we will become, and definitely not what you will become.  We do hard things, and we become better. We become better by serving others.  Thank you for reminding me.

I know Ab, that this is just the beginning of good things for you. 
Good choices lead to good consequences - that's what we say in our house - and you are full of an amazing potential to change lives.  I know you will; it's why you are here, in our family, with your brother.

Love you over and over and over again.
I am thankful every day for the chance I've been given to be your mommy.
Love,

7 comments:

Alisha said...

I'm really at a loss for words..... but beautiful. Just beautiful. I really hope that Em has a sibling like Abby one day, no higher compliment that I could give her at this moment.

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

SO glad it all happened and that picture is SO sweet:)

Jess said...

We will be there this year. Can't wait to come and see it.

Hyde Family said...

Can I please have her? Just for a minute.

Ashley C. said...

Just cried my eyes out reading this. Your little family is a gift to everyone that knows you.

Glad you are my friend. I love you!

Kysha said...

Your family is beautiful in every way possible! Thank you so much for the dinner. You are awesome beyond words!!

sterlingandbrandi said...

Aaww, tearing up. What a sweet girl. I'm glad everyone knows who Deakon is :)