Friday, September 10, 2010

New School Year, New First Days.

Ab and Deak's first days of school were a couple weeks apart this year. Both of their first days made me extremely nervous this year for different reasons. I just want so badly for my children to feel loved when I hand them over to their teachers. I may be a complete nutcase about this, I mean really, I work in Elementary schools, but I don't care. The mother bear has to come out from hibernation time to time...

Third Grade:
Ab was up at 6:30, fully clothed (including backpack) and ready for me to curl her hair.
I was still sleeping.
But, I got up.
Ab is most excited to learn cursive this year, and is most nervous about times tables.
As if she has anything to be nervous about...Miss Smarty Pants.


Ab and Em (her Bff)

My personal favorite...I know she loved my picture taking inside her classroom.


Second Year of Preschool:
Good freaking bye to last year's preschool and teacher.
Deak was so nervous for school this year, with good reason.  We had a terrible experience last year, survived a three hour IEP/Brawl and changed classrooms.
I told Deak all week that it was a new school and new teacher, but he still was NOT into it. Before school, on the first day, I got his orthotics and his walker out (Two sure signs he is going to school). He instantly began shaking his head no..over and over.
Poor kid is traumatized.
Makes me want to fight those people all over again.
I did my research and visited programs last Spring and found a new placement with wonderful people who love their job.
And, guess what? They love my Deak.
I arrived to pick him up on the first day, and Deak was cuddled in a rocking chair with his teacher.
I wanted to hug her.
Then, a different teacher (there are three teachers, not including therapists, and only six children), said unprovoked, "Your child is a joy. An absolute joy of a human being. He is happy and laughs, and we are going to have so much fun with him here."
Yes, I cried.
Yes...I am crying now as I type this.

Here is the three picture montage of Deak refusing to open his eyes while smiling, inside his classroom.


Pure joy.
Both of them.

7 comments:

Candice said...

Abby looks so grown up for her age. Wow!

And Deak...I can't even convey how happy I am that you have found teachers who appreciate and love him. It is SO important. They can tell!

Jess said...

They are growing up so fast! Look at that smile. Priceless. I love Abby's face looking at you taking pictures. I am sure we did that to our parents as well. I am so glad you found a place that will enjoy Deakon for the wonderful little boy he is.

You have been in my thoughts alot lately. I hope you are doing okay and feeling better.

Melanie Bingham said...

Love Ab's outift if only I'd been so fashionable at that age (or my current one) and DEak!!! HAL-LE-FREAKIN_LU-JA I'm so happy you found that place!!!

Allison said...

i share your tears. My girls are at a private school for a second year. The public school actually placed Abby there on a full IEP with all services at her school. It's largely unheard of here, but a huge blessing to have her around people who love her dearly. I'm so happy for you all!

Alisha said...

Yay! to a new placement for Deak, I'm SOooo relieved about that!!

And I love that third picture of Abby!!

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

That makes me so sad that Deak was scared to go to school - mean teachers - ugh!! Glad you found a good one and Abs is adorable as usual!!

Ashley C. said...

Yay for good things, cute kids, and good teachers. So happy for you guys!!